Rules Were Made to be Broken?

I am a rule follower.  The extreme kind of rule follower that even hates when other people break rules.  The kind that in fact LOVES rules! I want to know exactly what is expected of me at ALL times.  That way I have less of a chance of letting anyone down or getting in trouble.  I am terrified of getting in trouble.  Maybe it's because I am the worst liar EVER and would hate to have to make up an excuse or maybe it is because I have anxiety and will do anything to avoid confrontation. Whatever the reason, I follow rules...OK, maybe I speed just a little but that's more of a guideline. 

At the supermarket if I put crackers in my basket and decide I don't want said crackers I walk my happy ass BACK TO THE CRACKER aisle and put them back where they belong!! A concept I wish others would catch onto.  I don't want to buy ice cream and realize it's all pre-melted and icky because some asshole put it in the cereal aisle when they changed their mind.   Now, I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty, I kind of wish I could break the rules sometimes, but I just can't.

Because of my love of rules I even make up rules for myself that don't actually exist.  One of them being to keep the counters clean and clear of crumbs at all times.  At least 10 times a day I run my hand over the kitchen counter to check and make sure it is smooth.  Where am I going with this?  A few weeks ago Ryan and I were enjoying some potato chips in the kitchen when he handed me the bag of "just crumbs" and asked if I'd throw it away.  Well, I happen to like the crumbs at the bottom of the chip bag so I dove my grubby little hand in there.

"Why don't you just dump the bag out on the counter, babe?"

"I can't, it would make a mess."

"You can't or you won't"

"I CANNOT"

"Oh, just do it...break the rules."

I thought about it for a moment, and becaue my idea of fun these days is a glass of sparkling juice, I decided to go for it and dumped all the crumbs on the counter.

"I feel like such a rebel!!"

"Wow, you really are pathetic."

"I know, but damn it felt good to break a rule."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

Wanderlust