Kindness of Strangers

On Friday morning I walked the dogs to the bank to make a deposit at the ATM.  While processing my deposit, a woman came in behind me and of course was immediately under sniff interrogation by my dogs.  I tried to rope them in as best I could while apologizing for the noses in both her crotch and her toes.

She just smiled and assured me that they probably smelled her dogs and was perfectly fine with them sniffing.  I quickly finished my deposit and told her to have a nice day as I was walking toward the door.  She smiled at me and said, "You too, and Happy Mothers Day." 

I was completely caught off guard.  What?  Happy Mothers Day?  Oh my gosh, Happy Mothers Day!  She was the first person, besides my husband speaking through our dogs, to ever wish me a Happy Mothers Day.

Of course I teared up but thankfully the tears were concealed by my sunglasses and I pulled it together long enough to thank her and wish her the same...and then hope that she was a mother and I didnt' just put my foot in my mouth like when the ticket attendant at the flight gate says have a nice flight and you reply, "you too!"

As I walked home filled with emotion it became that much more real;  I am a mother.

So Happy Mothers Day to everyone.  Animal mothers, birth mothers, adoptive mothers, grandmothers, foster mothers, and bad ass mother fuckers.  You truly make the world a better place.

Love you mom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear