By-products or Buy-products

I just saw a commercial for dog food that reminded me how much I hate dog/cat food commercials.  This one in particular was selling prime rib wet dog food and was supposed to make me feel like a horrible pet owner because I don't give my dogs prime rib.

 REALLY?

PRIME RIB?

I am willing to bet that there is no "real" prime rib in this can of dog food, I thought to myself as I rolled my eyes.  It bothered me so much that I looked up the company's website and ingredients...

Sufficient water for processing, beef by-products, liver, meat by-products, chicken by-products, beef, calcium carbonate, natural flavors, sodium tripolyphosphate, carmel coloring, carrageenan, dried yam, xanthan gum, potassium chloride, salt, erythorbic acid, prime rib flavor, guar gum, zinc sulfate, sodium nitrate (for color), vitamin A, D3, and E supplements, D-calcium, pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1)

Sounds delicious doesn't it.  First of all,  notice the amount of animal by-products in this food; and people freak out when their dogs eat worms!  This is literally a parfait of chicken feet, cow balls, rat arms, turkey spleen and whatever other body part was on special that day. 

Second, notice the "natural flavor" and "prime rib flavor" sections on the list.  What exactly is prime rib flavor made of?  How do you put prime rib flavor on an ingredient list? WHAT IS IT?

Third, and my personal favorite, is the sodium nitrate, for color.  For color?  Of course!  I don't know about you but my dog won't eat anything unless it is the proper color. Aesthetics are very important to my dog who eats his dinner, throws it up and eats it again.  He is VERY classy.

I don't know, I think this whole processed food (for people and pets) is a bunch of bull shit.  We are essentially paying for some dorks science project.  I can see him now in his little white lab coat adding a dash of this and a pinch of that and VIOLA! PRIME RIB FLAVORING!  I'M A FUCKING GENIUS!

Maybe I'm just bitter because people give me a hard time for spending so much money on my dog food (that contains real food) and not giving them snausages, beggin' strips or people food.  But I'm like dude, if I wanted to feed my dogs by-products I'd let them roam free behind my parents house for 10 minutes.  Do you know how many decapitated mice and birds there are out there from the cats giving up their "toys" when the batteries ran out...and those by-products are free!

If you are at all interested, we feed our dogs and cat Orijin brand food.  We all think it's the cat's meow.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear