Just Put It On My Tab

Yesterday morning started out alright, I woke up bright and early to get my blood glucose test done and it was pretty uneventful.  A sweet drink, an hour wait and a phlebotomist that messed up and had to poke both arms later I was back home.  That is when the real fun started.

Can you sense my scarsm?

I got home at 8:30 and was greeted by the dogs in a typical squirming fashion.  Then, about 5 minutes later I noticed Abner acting a bit strange.  To be honest, I thought he had a boner.  Yes, a boner.  You see, sometimes when he gets excited he gets a little hard on and it scares him so he just sits there and shakes.  Ryan usually steps in and holds him still while giving him a pep talk about how it happens to all of us and so on and so forth; but it wasn't a boner.

He continued to act a bit strange, wandering around and shaking a little bit and just looking flat uncomfortable.  I offered him breakfast and when he refused I assumed he must have eaten something yesterday (typical) and decided to keep an eye on him for the rest of the morning.  After while he decided to eat and I figured we were out of the woods.  Little did I know we were just about to get lost in them.

Shortly after he ate breakfast I noticed he was acting extremely needy.  Following me everywhere, actually wanting me to hold him and looking pretty pathetic.  I decided to put us both back to bed to relax for a spell and he just melted into the covers like jello on a hot day.  He didn't move, he just lay there, occasionally moving to get comfortable, with a sad look on his face. 

At this point I convinced myself that he wasn't sick, at least not the kind of sick I thought to begin with; he was hurt.  My baby was in pain.  I spent the next few hours feeling my heart break into a million pieces because I wanted to fix it but I couldn't and I thought to myself that this is just a little taste of what it will be like sitting with a sick baby/child.  

Well, he was up all night which means I was up all night and with the suns rising I hoped for a better day.  Unfortunately he woke up in pain and we decided to that this couldn't wait until tomorrow during normal business hours, we would have to take him to emergency...for the second time this year.

Our amazing vet met us at his office, on a Sunday morning, how awesome/rare is that? Anyway, long story short, my fears and predictions were confirmed, Abner had herniated a disc in his back.  More than likely it happened while jumping off of the bed which I know he isn't supposed to do, but we let him anyway.  The vet injected him with both an anti-inflammatory and a narcotic pain medication but refused to give me a dose to ease the guilt I felt now reaching all the way down to my toes. 

We also took home some muscle relaxers and pain medication and made an appointment first thing tomorrow morning for spinal x-rays.  I am praying that it is just a minor herniation and he will heal quickly, but I can't help but let my brain go "there" and worry about paralyzation, chronic pain, surgery, etc.  Aside from his little legs giving out a bit when he stands (from the muscle relaxer) and walking just a little bit crooked he has the light back in his eyes and is much more comfortable than yesterday. 

When we were all done at the vet this morning he asked if we wanted to take care of the bill.  Ryan just looked at him and was like dude, we are coming back tomorrow for spinal x-rays, why don't you just go ahead and start us a tab.

I swear this dog needs to get a damn job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear