Transitional Object

Like most dogs, accept for Lilly who is far to sophisticated, Abner like to disembowel stuffed toys.  There is noting quite like gnawing off the leg of a cute fluffy doggy to pass the time.  And I love nothing more than coming home to a room covered in  poly fill and dog vomit because Abner has YET AGAIN gotten poly fill stuck in the back of his throat and gagged himself...3 or 4 times. 

As much as he loves to tear apart toys, there is one that he has had since he was a baby that he has never tried to injure, his bunny.  I am petty sure my mom got this bunny at the last chance mercantile, aka the dump, and that it was love at first sight for Abner. 

I still remember his first encounter with the bunny.  He sniffed it, started to chew on the eyeballs a little bit and then began licking the muzzle.  From there he lay down and began to "nurse" the muzzle of the bunny making the strangest snorting noises.  I thought awe, how cute, and figured this was a one time thing, I was wrong.

He sucked on that bunny multiple times a day.  When he was excited, when he was sleepy, when he was bored, sometimes at a 20 minute stretch.  Then came the anxiety, not for him, for me.  I was worried that maybe he was weaned to soon from his mother, or that he was so stressed in his new home that he needed to soothe himself.  That maybe he has some sort of separation anxiety from his brothers and sister, or that he hated me and it was probably a sure sign that he was going to die at any minute!

2 years later and anxiety quelled, again mine, not his, the bunny remains.   He still sucks it when he is overexcited or sleepy and occasionally to show off when we have company.  Our friends are like, um, what is he doing?  Oh you know, sucking on a bunny muzzle, it's kind of his "thing."  Wow, I hope they never have real children...

It has also become the cure all for his many neurosis. 

10pm..."Abner is barking at the chair again!"

"Just give him the bunny."

6am..."Abner won't stop sighing, I think he wants us to wake up!"

"Just give him his stupid bunny!"

"ABNER IS ANNOYING ME!!"

"JUST GIVE HIM THE DAMN BUNNY!  WHERE IS THE BUNNY?"

Kind of like that weird kid in preschool who's every problem can be cured by a glass of water.  You are upset mommy is leaving? Here have a glass of water.  You're hot? Here have some water.  You cut your finger off playing with a knife?  Awe poor kid, here have a glass of water and leave mommy to her chardonay. 


Yes, I am telling you that I pawn off my kids problems so I can have a cocktail.


Sucking n' snorting

The bunny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear