The squeaky wheel get's the grease

 If you have ever read this blog, or met me, you know that I love my dogs more than any normal person should.  You also know that I spend at least 25% of every day chasing Abner around, saving him from falling into holes, eating bees and other toxic items, choking on sticks, wandering off and/or accidentally killing himself; he is my problem child.

He gives me endless material for this blog and for when my friends who have actual "children" are telling stories and I have to come up with something cute my child did.  They look at me weird and I'm like what? Oh really, your kid is so cool.  Can you lock your kid up in a box for 8 hours and go get drunk?  I didn't think so. At least not without the authorities getting involved. 

So while Abner keeps me on my toes and drives me closer and closer to the Garden Pavilion, Lilly moves from one couch to another day dreaming about dinner time and being a perfect lady.  Well, perfect  if you discount the whole trying to eat the mail man thing.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while Abner gets a lot more face time on here, Lilly is equally loved in real life.  WHAT, the internet isn't real life?  But I just read an article that said....

Lilly is the kind of dog that knows what you are thinking before you do.  She knows when you are sick or sad or mad or just needing to hug a giant dog.  She is wise beyond her years, dramatic beyond what ANY dog should be and just quirky enough to fit right into our family.  

She refuses to step on wet grass or even touch the grass in our backyard, but she will run through wet grass after a good rain IF it is in an open field.  She licks her feet incessantly, thinks her collar weighs 200 pounds if it is crooked, and rolls her eyes at "those" dogs.  You know, the ones having fun.  How dare they!

Lilly is the kind of dog that novelists and poets write about, life altering.  She makes people who hate dogs want to go out and get one. She sits in the wing back chair sipping a manhattan, reading The Sun Also Rises while Abner, well he just licked up the pile of dirt I swept from the kitchen floor. 

Years ago when Ryan and I first started dating and Lilly still hated me (I say still as though she loves me now but I'm pretty sure if Abner and I disappeared she would be the last one looking) I noticed that the tag on her collar stated her name as Lilly, not Lily as the flower is actually spelled.  When I asked him why she had two l's in her name Ryan just looked at her, looked at me and simply said, "because she is so pretty."

And she absolutely is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

Wanderlust