Aw, nuts

Our neighbors across the street have a HUGE walnut tree in their backyard.  Every year around this time crows form I assume all over the city, come to feast upon the bounty of walnuts.  Seriously, it is like The Birds on my street right now.

They pluck the nuts from the tree, use their beaks to unwrap them from their leathery outer coating and then fly up on the electric wires where they proceed to drop the nuts.  The hard shell cracks open on the asphalt and bing bang boom, they have a nut.  Pretty darn smart if you ask me.

Anyway, today after getting Caches down for a nap I decided to enjoy the sunshine on the front porch.  I grabbed a snack, some nuts and a nectarine, and headed out.  It wasn't long before I felt eyes watching me.  It was the birds.  I continued to snack as word spread through the murder that there was a bowl of nuts just sitting out on an unassuming woman's lap.  Shelled nuts, no less.

I watched as more and more crows gathered near my front walk.  I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't just a little bit nervous.  Being pecked to death over a bowl of almonds isn't exactly on my list of things to do today.  So I did what any normal person surrounded by crows would do, their beady little eyes all aglow.  I panicked.  I grabbed my sacrificial nuts and threw them into the street before going inside and shutting the door, the back door too, just in case.  And then  I watched the crows celebrate the bounty of conveniently cracked nuts as I ate my nectarine from the safety of my sofa.

They are pretty cool.  Think they would pose on my porch for Halloween if I provide the nuts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear