Shift Change

For the first few weeks of Caches' life, Abner took it upon himself to watch his every move and make sure he knew where he was at all times.  He also shot us dirty looks and/or ran to us every time Caches cried as though we were intentionally hurting him, laid underfoot ALL DAY causing a few tripping incidents and sat on the small part of my lap not taken up by Caches' body each time I nursed him. 

Basically he was an overly needy, royal pain in the ass...so nothing much new.

Slowly, over the course of the next few weeks, he became less worried that we were going to hurt his future playmate and started to give us a little space.  Unfortunately he also decided to boycott eating, pout and walk around with a depressed look on his face all day, his ears positioned in the "I'm in trouble aren't I?" pose.  I am pretty sure the reason was either doggy post pardom depression or him realizing that he wasn't the baby anymore.  Abner has grown accustomed to an obscene amount of attention and now he is only getting a slightly abnormal amount. I'm sure he will adjust, and yes, I do spend WAY too much time anthropomorphizing my pets, thanks for noticing.

Well, Caches must have received the memo that Abner was finally adjusting and starting to act "normal" again (if that is even possible) so he decided that it was his turn to be the high needs baby around here.  How fun for me!

Our days typically start, and definitely end with screaming sessions and during the day if he isn't eating or sleeping he is fussing.  He also insists that we hold him most of the time and of course we do.  He does have a few 15-20 minute periods each day of "happy time" and that is what keeps me going.  It's like seeing a comercial for ice cream 30 minutes into my workout.  It makes me keep on trucking because I know there is a reward waiting...like maybe a whole 30 minutes without crying so mommy can take a shower!

All this to say that because of my high needs children, I have a new talent; I can do almost anything one handed or with a baby balanced on my shoulder.  So far I can successfully prepare coffee and tea, fix a simple meal, eat said meal, do laundry, make the bed, straighten up the house, give attention to the needy dogs, clean up the bulimic cats vomit and take shots of vodka, I mean drink healthy amounts of water.

I'm considering opening a sideshow.  Come one, come all.  Watch the hairy legged, baggy eyed, dirty yoga pant wearing mom reheat her coffee for the 7th time this morning with a baby balanced on her shoulder all using just one hand!!!  I'm sure I'd get a few more onlookers than the bearded lady but nowhere near the traffic of wolfman.

Needy
Needy




Comments

  1. haha this made me giggle, i dont have pets but i do have a very needy baby so i know how you feel....whats a shower? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

Wanderlust

You're kidding, right