Slaw Dog

This past weekend I watched a lot more TV than usual; curled up in my little bed nest, blowing my nose and cursing the fact that popsicles need to be kept in the freezer rather than at arms length. While wallowing in my own misery I discovered a new show that I really enjoyed called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate," on the Food Network. It is a show that asks chefs and food celebrities their absolute favorite foods and where we as the general public can find them. The food, not the chefs.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a big sweets person. I have never met a cupcake I didn't like and no matter if I have to unbutton my pants, there is ALWAYS room for dessert. So you'll understand my surprise when instead of perking up for apple tart, I full on sat up in bed for a hot dog!

It must have been the way he was describing it, or perhaps it was the love in his eyes for this hot dog that really sold me, who knows. All I know is that I memorized the toppings and was determined to recreate this hot dog...as soon as I got my sense of taste and smell back, of course.

Though I was still a bit stuffed up, I decided that last night was the perfect night for a hot dog and I was pleasantly surprised. Something about the combination of ingredients or the fact that a hot dog is trashy, but in this case disguised to be fancy; kind of like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. By the end of the movie she is all "put together" and while there aren't condoms falling out of her boots, she is still a hooker and my hot dog was still a hot dog but damn, it looked good in its new boots.



I don't really have a recipe and I am POSITIVE the hot dog on TV was not vegetarian, but I'll give you the ingredients and how I assembled it in case you are interested.

Whole Wheat buns, toasted on the grill
Vegetarian or meat hot dog if you prefer
Hot mustard
Chopped purple onions
Shredded cheddar cheese
Blue cheese coleslaw*
*store bought chopped cabbage/slaw mix mixed with chunky blue cheese dressing and finely chopped jalapeƱo

You will also notice that Ryan prepared tater tots in place of our usual salad for our "vegetable." We didn't want the hot dog to get cocky and think he could share a paper plate with spinach salad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

Wanderlust

You're kidding, right