Four

Today my middle little turns four years old.  OneTwo.  Three.  Four.  Notice that there is no link for three?  I could have sworn I wrote at least a small diddy for his third birthday, but I scanned the archives of last year at least three times waiting for that post to kind of appear, and nothing!  In my defense, this time last year was peak screaming all day and night for Caches so maybe I was a bit preoccupied.  But still, nothing?!  Sorry Abner.





A year later and my screamer has calmed, but not my bulldog.  He is still just as bat shit crazy as he was the day I picked him up.  Unlike a normal puppy who might show sighs of sadness leaving his mother and siblings, Abner never looked back.  He sat in the rented Cadillac, looked me straight in the eye and said, "Are you read for this?"  I wasn't.

The first two weeks with Abner I had so much anxiety I could hardly eat.  He was just so busy, I was convinced he was going to kill himself.  Choking on leaves, trying to eat bees, taking flying leaps off of the stairs! Ahh...And he didn't sleep!  You know how you hear of puppies falling asleep in their food bowls or sleeping all day in a heap of legs and plump puppy bellies.  Not Caches, I mean Abner.



He has embraced sleeping since, but if you so much as giggle a key or motion towards the door he is ready to go!  He is always ready for action.  With one of the best personalities I've ever known, Abner will tolerate pretty much anything.  Probably because we annoy the shit out of him on a regular basis and he has just given up, but still, it should be noted how sweet he is. 



He is nothing if not persistent, hard headed and stubborn.  He plays like crazy, loves like crazy and IS actually crazy.  Don't believe me?  Come over mid afternoon, when the sun hits the back door just right and watch as he obsessively barks at the reflection all. day. long.  He won't stop.  Move the door and all hell breaks loose.  He will chase and bark at that reflection until someone intervenes and physically removes him!  Where's Abner?  He's staring at the door.  Must be about 2:00.
 
Oh Abner, my sweet little bean, with your big brown eyes and shiny little lip.  Sensitive and strong.  Silly and sweet.  Curious and brave.  Absolutely ridiculous, and keeper of a large piece of my heart. Abner Wainwright, you make even the darkest day bright.  You were meant for me, for us.  And while some may think it's silly, I truly believe that you make me a better person, a better mother.  You ground me and you make me smile.  You have set the standard of crazy pretty high around here with your brother and sisters all attempting to reach you.  So just between us, seriously, you can stop now.  You win.  You always win.



Mama loves you so much.  You little snoring, snorting, no tail having, reflection chasing, tiny teeth all a mess, brilliant bulldog.  And she always will.


Happy Birthday Baby Bulldog



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear