10 Months

Caches Michael,

Today you are 10 months old, double digits!  I know I say this every month, but wow, how is it that 10 whole months have already past!  Wasn't it just yesterday that you were a helpless newborn barley able to hold the weight of your head, with swollen eyes and tightly clenched fists?  When did you start to become more like a toddler and less like a baby?!?  It's already happening, there is now way of stopping it...you are growing up.

And the time is going way too fast.  There are moments, like when you curl up in a little ball and fall asleep in my arms that I want to stop the clock, break out a bottle, and pickle that moment so I can have it forever on a shelf to admire.  And I would take it out and stare hard at it when we have a bad day or when my patience is running thin.  Caches, we would have a whole pantry of pickled moments, a bomb shelter full! 

I know that sometimes I dwell on the negative things, like your detestation for sleeping and my accomplishing anything in the way of household chores.  But when I really think about it, I suppose I should be flattered.  That a person enjoys my company enough to demand in not only all day, but all night as well.  Hell, even I get tired of me after a while.  But not you, not my sweet curly haired boy, you still want mama.  Unshaven, unshowered, food stained t-shirt, holey yoga pant, frizzy hair, stinky arm pit mama. 

Sigh.  I can already picture when you won't.

It won't be long, you are walking on your own and getting better, and braver every day.  You cruise all around the house and have even taken to using Abner as a walker when he is handy.  Caches, you LOVE Abner.  Your word for Abner is "buh" and every time you see him, he barks, or you want to see him you utter this over and over.  When you hear him barking from the other room you grab a hand and drag a willing body with you to see your "buh"  You also like to take his bones, water bottles, stuffed toys or anything else he could be chewing on and tease him by pretending you are going to eat it.  It's kind of mean, but actually pretty funny.

You are so funny!  Within this past month your personality has really started to develop and shine.  You giggle and squeal over the silliest of happenings and you make goofy faces and out of this world weird noises.  When you are happy, you are HAPPY, but baby boy, when you are mad holy shit you are M A D!  You do not hold back your emotions, and while this can be extremely trying, it is also rather endearing.  We adults are so jaded and accustomed to holding back how we really feel, sucking it up and doing things we don't want to do, but not you!  If I so much as look at you the wrong way I am made quickly and loudly aware.  At some point you will need to take it down a notch, but in the mean time, enjoy it. 

Something else that has really developed this past month is your hair!  Oh my goodness the curls!  The soft, perfect, wispy baby curls that make women swoon.  Caches, your hair is perfection.  I know that some day you will want to cut it, dye it, shave it, braid it, who knows, but for the time being, while you still don't know that you are allowed to have an opinion about your hair, I'm letting it run wild! 

And along with your hair, I hope you run wild.  There is so much out there for your to discover, to explore.  So much dirt to dig in, rocks to shovel, water to splash in, and trees to climb.  Sure, there will be skinned knees and splinters, hurt feelings and frustrations, but run wild my curly haired son.  For no matter what happens, mama will always be here with open, albeit stinky, arms to hold you.

Love,
Mama

*There are no pictures because my laptop contracted a gnarly virus that a dear family friend is working to fix.  Once I get the computer back I'll update. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear