Just had to get it out

At first I thought, why I am writing this?  I don't have all the facts or any direct quotes to back up my argument.  Then I remembered that I can write whatever the hell I want and you can read it, run it through your own personal opinion filter and take away what you will.

I have never been a big fan of the whole Hollywood/Celebrity scene.  I honestly think it is, as a whole, ridiculous.  As a culture we give a few select people far too much credit, far too much money and far too much control just for being famous.  Adults and children idolize completely made up ideas about who these people actually are and are quick to hand over hard earned money for so and so's new perfume or shoes just because it has their name on it.  We allow celebrities to "get away" with so much more than we would ever deem appropriate from our friends, relatives or neighbors.  In fact, we actually give them more money to be complete assholes!

Now I'm not saying that all famous people are douche bags who do nothing but exploit the general public and think they hung the moon, but some are.  And the one I want to address for a moment is Mr. Kanye West.  Let me start off by saying that I know nothing about him other than newsworthy tidbits I have heard over the years.  How he took the mic away from a young woman accepting a well deserved award, how he has a hard time fitting through doorways with his hugely inflated head and the most recent gem, and the reason for my post today, that he thinks that his relationship with Kim Kardashian and the Kardasian women as a whole have helped pave the way for mixed race couples.

Are you absolutely fucking kidding me!?

Yeah, you paved the way for mixed race couples just as I'm sure you invented rap music, were an integral part of the equal rights movement and are the reason that the sun comes up each morning.  Get over yourself, Mr. West.  What an ignorant, disrespectful, bull shit thing to say.  Mr. West, people far less "special" than yourself spent years upon painful years enduring violence, hate and discrimination just so that you and a reality star girlfriend could even been seen in public together.  Mixed race couples were spit on, beaten, verbally abused and run out of town all for being in love and you have the audacity to think that just because a few reality TV stars dated African American men and you so happened to impregnate one of them that you had something to do with the freedom of interracial relationships?

You, Mr. West are a big part of what I dislike about celebrity.  You feel far too entitled for someone who hasn't done much aside from making a few mediocre rap records and cashing in on your "love" life.  And the thing that really pissed me off ?  Just like millions of other Americans, I know your name, I know your face,  but I don't know the names or faces of the brave souls who actually fought long and hard for their rights, for your rights!

And they did it out of love, true love.  I don't know your heart, Mr. West, but I have a feeling that if you and Kim Kardasian were being spit at in public, harassed in your homes and verbally assaulted each time you stepped out that you wouldn't have made it past the first date.  I have a feeling you wouldn't have stood up for your love.  I have a feeling that you wouldn't have stood up for your rights.  It's really easy to say that you are making a difference when millions of people and the law are on your side, but I can't help but wonder where you would have stood on the issue 50 years ago as an ordinary man who loved a woman.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear