She's got worms

About three weeks ago, when the shit storm of sickness and sadness began, Caches had a croup attack and ended up in the ER.  It's not much of a story.  I was home alone with him and about an hour after I put him to bed he woke up coughing.  I went to get him and by the time I got into his room he was gasping for air, eyes bulging out of his head and a look of total panic on his face.

I tried to calm him down with offering to nurse, rocking, reminding him to take a slow breath, but nothing was working.  Now he had been fighting to breathe for almost five minutes and I was starting to worry.  He was fine all day and when I put him down so I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong and worried that he was having some sort of allergic reaction.  I debated the ER for a while, but finally couldn't take the what ifs anymore and decided to go.

He stopped coughing and gasping by the time we arrived and the second I walked in I regretted bringing him.  If he wasn't sick already, he would be by the time we left.  The ER was packed; Uhh, why!?  Long story short, he had what they called a croup attack and three hours later we were home.  He never did develop croup so how he had a croup attack I don't quite know, but I digress.

Anyway, the following day we were supposed to meet some friends at the Aquarium and Ryan had really been talking it up.  Telling Caches all about how neat it would be to see the fish and maybe he would get to touch a fish.  It was fishmania!  Well, we obviously didn't go and Ryan was feeling so guilty about the big fish let down that he decided to take Caches to the pet store to watch the fish swim.  I'm sure you know where this is going.

About an hour later they came back.  And by they I mean Ryan, Caches, and a fish.  Just what we need.  It was a little purple Beta fish and Caches named him Ice Cream.  I guess he is my son.  Anyway, Ice Cream lives in a bowl in the kitchen and his food, blood worms and other nasty shit, is beside his bowl.  Can you guess where this is going?

Before Caches and I left the house last week, I did my usual once over of the kitchen to make sure there was no food or anything that even resembled food to a Ridgeback, left out, locked Abner in his crate, and we were on our way.

About an hour later I came home to Easter grass spread all over the house and little chunks of chewed up plastic on the floor.  Really!?!  Easter grass?!?  What, did the kid touch one blade of it with butter on his fingers?  At nearly ten years of age Lilly is really getting desperate!  But the plastic, I just couldn't figure out the shards of plastic.

I'm trying to pick them up and piece together any information that would tell me what they used to be when I notice Abner is obsessively licking the play mat around all the plastic.  Upon closer inspection there are what appear to be little bits of dirt all over the floor.  What is this?  It's starting to come together...My brain is working...Umm, that isn't dirt, those are worms!  Abner is licking up all the worms that Lilly left behind when she chewed up the fish food canister!  And there are worms stuck to the bottom of my feet, perfect.

I'm just glad she didn't knock the bowl off of the counter trying to get the worms!  Needless to say, Ice Cream's new food is stored in a doggy proof drawer.  As for the Easter grass, you'll have to ask Lilly what she saw in that one.  Nothing is safe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear