Million Dollar Baby

If only Abner were a Boxer this would be perfect...

Poor sweet bulldog's back is acting up again.  Friday morning he went out to pee and poop as usual but when I wiped his butt, yes I still wipe his butt after every single poop, I noticed he wasn't quite acting normal.  Now, there is really no such thing as "normal" with a bulldog, but he at least has a range or normal; This wasn't it.  His ears were back and he was still, soon he started shaking and panting.  I knew it was his back right away.

I gave him the prescribed in case of emergency muscle relaxer, pain killer cocktail that I kinda wish was for me and called the vet to make an appointment.  I felt an immediate rush of sadness and money leaving my bank account.  Luckily Ryan was home that morning and sat with him quietly as I chased Cache around and went about our routine.  Caches hardly knew what to do with his toast not having a bulldog trying to sneek it out of his hand every two seconds.

At the vet Abner received an additional shot for his pain and an updated x-ray to compare to his previous films.  He had to say the whole day for observation :(



When I picked him up that afternoon the vet reviewed the films with me and it appears that the space around his spinal column is narrowing where the disc is herniated.  This of course pinches the nerves causing pain and a very sad bulldog.  He didn't do anything in particular to irritate it recently, but with an injury like this there is no telling when inflammation will flare up and cause an episode.  Oh wait, he DID jump a baby gate the other day!  Yeah, short, chubby, supposedly nonathletic french bulldog cleared a baby gate from a stand still.  His motivation?  I was in the bathroom and didn't invite him.

ALL my creatures, human and/or animal are INSANE!

So he is currently on three different medications to help ease the pain and has a recheck at the vet tomorrow.     It seems as though he is finally catching on that he needs to mellow out because this time he is somewhat cooperating and laying low.  Of course if anything shiny catches his eye all bets are off, but at least he's trying.  Oh, and he got to ride in the stroller today for a walk in the fresh air.  Nothing more special than a baby on your hip and a bulldog in your stroller.



At this rate I might as well set up a preemptive auto pay to the vet.  Just go ahead and withdraw 500.00 a month and don't tell me about it.  Then at the end of the year we'll call it even, okay?   Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

Wanderlust