How it Happened

Well, you already know how it happened but if you were sick that day in school, I'll explain.  Ryan and I called the stork and told him we would be interested in a baby around June.  After checking his busy schedule, we do live in Salinas after all, he agreed to deliver around the 27th. 

Now that we've cleared that up, can I tell you how embarrassing it is to tell your family that you are knocked up.  Basically it was like, "Hey mom, we have lots of sex,"  "Guess what grandma, I totally wrecked my wife."  I know that is not what they hear, but I swear it feels like that is what is coming out.  After each person we told I was like oh great, now EVERYBODY is going to know we do it!

So now that you know, let me tell you just how complicated it was; not the sex, the finding out.  I'll try to be brief because let's be honest, it's not that exciting.  

I was late so I took a test...negative.  I figured I'd start soon and went about my business.  A few days later and still no sign of my period so I took another test...negative.  Now I'm a little annoyed but don't think much of it.  Days pass...more days pass and finally I call the doctor who tells me to come in for a blood test.  Okay, that will tell us for sure.  I go in, leave a vial of blood lighter and wait for the call.  Negative. 

By this time I am over 2 weeks late and starting to get worried that something might be wrong with me.  You know, convincing myself that I have cancer or am never going to have my period EVERY AGAIN; I like to think catastrophically. 

Another week goes by and now my doctor wants to give me a shot of progesterone, in my ass, which will bring on my very tardy period.  At first I was like um, okay but then an overwhelming feeling that I should NOT do it came over me in a wave. 

I froze up, stuttered and began explaining to the nurse how crazy I must sound and how she probably thinks that I am desperate or trying to get attention or...or...but...but, I just don't want the shot.  I want one more blood test.  She seems unaffected by my outburst and says she will order another blood test for the following day.

I go in, give another vial of blood, treat myself to an oatmeal apricot cookie (what? I was light headed from the blood draw) and head for home trying not to think about the possible baby or other deadly disease I might have. 

8:00AM on a Wednesday morning.  My phone rings.  It's my doctor, not the nurse. 

Dr.: "Well, it's a good thing you didn't get the shot because you are definitely pregnant."

Me: "Uhhhhhh.  Wow.  OK.  Ummmmm."

Dr: "Let me put you through to the front desk and you can book an appointment to come in and get checked."

Me: "......................." 
But in my head thinking, WHY CAN'T I JUST BE NORMAL?  Why was this SO hard?  Why do I have to be part of the .02% that can't just pee on a stick?

And because everyone seems to want to know...No, we were not trying to get pregnant it just so happened that the stork was in the right place at the right time. And we couldn't be happier.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

You're kidding, right

To Make Things Clear