Give Thanks, and All Your Money

I have personally never been one to rush out on Black Friday and go shopping.  The thought of thousands of people moshing over 100 twenty dollar television sets just does not appeal to me;  I do however understand why many people engage in the tradition.

I mean if you are a true shopper and being trampled by stampedes of other aggravated shoppers doesn't bother you, or if you have a lot of shopping to do and like a "good deal" then I suppose it is the perfect occasion for you.  Yep, get out of your warm bed and wait in line in the freezing cold at 4am and we'll give you this awesome Furby!!!!

Personally, I don't get it.

Where are you going with this Anne?  We really don't care that you don't like shopping?  What is a Furby?

The reason I am bringing this up is because I feel as though this tradition, this so called "holiday,"  has gotten a bit out of hand.  A few years ago you would see ads about stores opening at 6am with once in a lifetime deals.  Then it was 4am with even better deals and the chance to actually be killed at Wal Mart.  I was like, ok, not for me, but if you want to get up go for it.

Years pass and stores, feeling as though they need to up the anti begin opening at midnight or 10pm ON THANKSGIVING.  Now, this year I am seeing multiple stores advertising that they are open all of Thanksgiving Day and are offering such great deals that you would be a fool to actually spend time with your family and pass them up.

Here is why it bothers me.  Not only are we already spending less and less time together, in the flesh, interacting with our families and loved ones, but for god's sake, do we really need to buy more shit at an even lower price just so we have MORE CRAP around to cloud what is really important.

People are important, pets are important, basic needs that include interacting with your family and sharing a meal are important.  The 75 dollar sweater that you bought for 10 dollars is not worth the time you wasted away from the table, the conversation, the love.  That sweater may keep you warm, but it does nothing for your heart or soul.

Now I am not saying that shopping is terrible or buying gifts for family and friends is some horrible idea that I am above in some way.  All I am saying is think about why you are buying these things and at what cost they truly come.  Would your grandmother be happier with a visit and some time to share memories, or the cashmere gloves?

This Thanksgiving I hope all of you were surrounded by warmth, love, plentiful tables and rich conversation. Take some time to think about what you are truly thankful for and you may surprise yourself at just how much you come up with.

I personally am thankful that I was able to keep down the immense amount of food I ate last night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klean n' Shine

Wanderlust

You're kidding, right